C’est l’amour. This is love. Like, true love! Grab your cast iron skillet and make the BEST ribeye steak recipe EVER.
One of my favorite cuts of meat is the ribeye. It’s beautiful, tender, and when made properly, it’s fantastic. WHY spend alot of money and go out to eat one of these beauties? I’ll show you the best ribeye steak recipe ever, that you can make in the comfort of your own home.
Why Is This The Best Ribeye Recipe?
- It’s gluten-free.
- It uses very few ingredients.
- It is made in a cast iron skillet, then finished off in the oven.
The ribeye pictured here has been cut into two. We get our grass fed beef from a local farmer and it’s fantastic. I requested the ribeye to be halved this year because I can never finish one whole steak. They’re so big and amazing!
Very few ingredients go into this dish. You will be amazed. Here’s what you’ll need:
- kosher salt
- ground black peppercorn
- olive oil
A Few Tips:
- Air out your kitchen!!! These steaks WILL smoke, so use a vent or open window.
- Make sure your steak is room temperature before searing. This is very important!
- Heat your cast iron skillet first in the oven, then on the stove top. You want it to be thoroughly hot.
- Sprinkle pepper on after cooking, just before the meat rests. Pepper burns at high temps.
- Use thick, ground peppercorn. The pieces taste wonderful with ribeye steak.
Alton Brown has a technique of cooking ribeye. He heats a cast iron skillet in the oven BEFORE searing. It works EVERY SINGLE TIME!
Over the years, I’ve altered it. I ALWAYS add flash-fried rosemary herb butter after cooking. And I cook the meat for less time.
But heating your cast iron first, then into the oven? It’s basically the best method.
How To Make The Best Ribeye Steak Recipe – Step By Step:
(Although I used halves, this recipe calls for two full ribeye steaks for the best results.)
Preheat oven to 500 degrees with cast iron skillet inside the oven.
With oven mitts, place hot skillet on stovetop for 5 minutes on high heat.
Sear steaks on hot skillet for 30 seconds on each side. No more.
Place cast iron quickly in oven, and cook for two minutes.
Quickly flip steaks over and cook for another two minutes.
Take steaks off of skillet and plate, covering with foil to rest for 2 minutes.
One More Tip: Use quality beef for amazing ribeye. It’s really the way to go for a romantic dinner for two 😉 I should know.
FUNNY STORY: I made a ribeye for my husband when we first started dating. I was a HORRIBLE cook then. I marinated it in soy sauce for 24 hours. He told me it was the WORST steak he’d ever had. We laughed and drank the whole night. These days, he loves the ribeye I make currently.
C’est l’amour 😉
Comment and rate the recipe below, and let me know how these steaks turned out if you make them! I love hearing from you!!
Best Ribeye Steak Recipe
A perfect ribeye steak for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner, that's gluten-free.
- 2 ribeye steaks 1 to 1 1/2 inch thickness, each
- olive oil California
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees, then place a cast iron skillet in oven.
Be sure the ribeye is room temperature, then blot and dry meat with paper towels.
- Let cast iron skillet heat to the 500 degree mark in oven.
- When oven temp reaches 500 degrees, remove skillet and place on stove top.
- *Keep oven temp at 500 degrees.
- Turn stovetop to high and heat cast iron skillet for five minutes.
- Massage a small amount of olive oil to steak cuts, enough to cover.
- Sprinkle kosher salt on both sides.
- After five minutes, place both ribeye into hot cast iron skillet.
- Sizzle for thirty seconds on one side, then thirty seconds on other side of meats.
- When done, quickly transfer skillet to oven.
- Cook in oven for two minutes, then flip steaks and cook another two minutes.
- Quickly remove steaks from oven and cover with foil to rest for two min.
- Sprinkle with ground pepper, then serve.
- NOTE: This dish will smoke. Vent kitchen while cooking.