A gluten-free hot chocolate with Irish Cream liqueur. I’m not a big cocktail person, but I know alot of people are.
You know those warm holiday cocktails, that just scream goodness on a warm cozy night? Yeah, this is one of those cocktails.
I’m not a big cocktail person, but I know alot of people are. Especially around the holidays, and during parties on cold nights! Basically, this concoction is incredibly easy, incredibly gluten-free, and incredibly tasty. It consists of a cream liqueur and hot chocolate. Cinnamon is added to the mix as a spiced holiday topping, and whipped cream just makes it all even more yummy.
Irish cream liqueur is based on combining a cream with Irish whiskey. It’s a distilled liqueur. So, during its fermentation process, there are liquids removed. This leads to a stronger alcohol content, which is why it’s known as ‘hard liquor.’
Now, whiskey is essentially made from grain. So, gluten is present. However, when whiskey goes through the distilling process, all gluten is basically destroyed. In this case, whiskey is distilled three times.
So, that’s alot of gluten destroying.
Not all Irish cream is considered gluten-free, however, when purchasing. Your safest bet is to go with Carolans Irish Cream. It is gluten-free and quite tasty, in fact. There are other popular brands out there, but some have been cross contaminated through the manufacturing process.
All you need is some Irish cream, gluten-free hot chocolate, whipped cream and cinnamon. And it’s all soooo easy. You can get awayswith making the most plain hot chocolate here, because the liqueur will add alot of flavor. Now, it’s best to really make your own hot cocoa. This is because many companies don’t label hot chocolates gluten-free.
You can make this all more simple than ever by whipping up your own mix and storing it! Powdered sugar, plus powdered milk, and add your cocoa. An easy dry mix to store so you can quickly make up an Irish Cream gluten-free hot chocolate whenever your little heart desires.
Enjoy this drink while wrapping gifts, during a holiday party, or on a warm and cozy date night! It’s just wonderful and perfect during the holidays. I know we will be having one while wrapping presents before the man in the big red suit arrives. But he does NOT get any.
Irish Cream Gluten-Free Hot Chocolate
A fantastic, cozy chocolate drink for a winter night.
- 1 tablespoons CAROLANS Irish Cream your preference
- 1 cup Hot Chocolate homemade or store bought
- Whipped cream - for topping
- Ground cinnamon - for topping
- Cinnamon stick - for garnish and stirring
- In a coffee mug, add Irish Cream.
- Then add readily made hot chocolate to mug.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkle on cinnamon.
- Add a cinnamon stick to mug.
- Drink and wrap presents.
- **FOR HOMEMADE HOT CHOCOLATE:
- One cup of milk
- Two tablespoons cocoa powder
- One tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Melt all ingredients in pan over stove at medium low heat.
- After 3 or 4 minutes, ingredients should be dissolved.
- **FOR HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM:
- One cup of heavy whipping cream
- One tablespoon of sugar
- Freeze an empty mixing bowl for 10-15 minutes.
- Take out of freezer and attach bowl to mixer.
- Add cold whipping cream and sugar to bowl.
- Beat until soft peaks form, about five minutes.
- (Be mindful not to overbeat.)