Simple carrot soup made with fresh carrots, onion, cream and chicken stock. Super healthy and this gluten-free version is super easy. Perfect for a cold winter night.
Serve this with gluten-free croutons (literally gluten-free bread, cut up into squares, and toasted) and sour cream for a great hearty flavor.
Carrots are a great source of antioxidants, which makes this easy carrot soup recipe very healthy. Comfort food that is healthy is so perfect this time of year! Let’s dive into how to make this gorgeous soup…
This gluten-free carrot soup has very few ingredients. Here are the main ingredients you’ll need:
- cream or milk
- chicken stock
That’s it! These ingredients may already be in your pantry.
What makes this soup so easy?
- You’ll be cooking the main ingredients in the oven. No fuss! No pots and pans!
- No carrot peeling! Yip, keep everything in tact. Rinse and place on a sheet pan and leave it till it’s done!
This is a great recipe that’s gluten-free, healthy and filled with lots of flavor.
How To Make Easy Gluten-Free Carrot Soup – Step By Step:
Place rinsed carrots (stems off) and one onion (chopped into chunks and spread out) onto a sheet pan.
Let cook in the oven for one hour, then puree carrots and onion into food processor with stock, cream, water and spices.
Tips: Roasting low and slow preserves the carrot flavor and makes the carrots extremely soft for pureeing.
Add fresh herbs for enhanced flavor as well. If using dried herbs, try the Spicely gluten-free brand.
What To Eat With Carrot Soup?
- Gluten-free croutons.
- Sour cream.
(For croutons, place cubed gluten-free bread on baking sheet with carrots and onion the last 5 minutes of cooking time.)
Want to make your own broth for this carrot soup? Enhance the flavor with my gluten-free chicken stock recipe!
If you’ve tried this recipe, remember to rate it in the comments below! I love hearing from you!
Easy Carrot Soup Recipe
An easy carrot soup with carrots, cream, broth and onion.
- 6 whole carrots - rinsed and tops removed
- One large onion - roughly chopped
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock or Kitchen Basics GF brand
- cup Water - 1/4
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Garlic powder to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- On a sided baking sheet, layer carrots and onions evenly.
- Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and mix gently, then layer again.
- Cook for approximately 1 hour, until veggies are shriveled and softened.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- *Leave oven on same temperature. Do not turn off yet.
- Cut veggies into chunks, then place in medium to large food processor.
- Process veggies for thirty seconds, or until finely chopped.
- Add stock, water and milk, then process until pureed.
- Transfer puree to a saucepan and heat on stovetop on medium low.
- Heat until puree is nice and hot, but not bubbly.
- Be mindful not to burn. Stir occasionally.
- Then add ground thyme and a pinch of kosher, then stir.
- Turn heat down to low and let simmer, stirring occasionally.
- While simmering, place bread cubes on same baking sheet.
- Toss in pan with the olive oil, pinch of garlic powder, and pinch of salt.
- Place in heated oven.
- Let breadcrumbs toast for approximately three minutes, or until golden brown.
- *Be mindful not to let them burn.
- When finished, remove breadcrumbs from oven and turn off heat.
- Turn off stovetop heat and remove carrot puree as well.
- In a bowl, ladle hot soup carefully and top with croutons.
- Add a dollup of sour cream, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Dig in.
- NOTE: Oven temps and times may vary.