This cereal bars recipe is so versatile and so perfect for any child with food allergies. The best part is you can let them choose their own allergen free cereal to use!
One of the things I find difficult is finding treats for my son that are gluten and dairy free that he actually enjoys.
It’s so much easier and better to make treats at home, but sometimes there’s just not enough time.
And other times, you don’t want your kid to feel left out from the rest. For instance, a common snack at school or friends’ houses are packaged rice Crispy treats. But Carson would react poorly if he ate those.
One cereal that he loves is the Van’s Cinnamon Heaven cereal. They’re certified gluten-free and labeled dairy-free!
In this recipe, I actually used the Cinnamon Chex cereal because we had a box that my daughter and husband bought. Carson seems to do fine with it.
Your safest bet would be Van’s, however, if you have a child with both a gluten and dairy allergy. (Chex is labeled gluten-free and although does not contain dairy, is not labeled dairy-free.)
I figured I would take his favorite cereal and make him some of his own marshmallowy treats, in a sense!
Really you can use any cereal you’d like here. There are many organic cereals that are certified gluten-free and dairy-free, and have a great crunchy sweetness to them.
There are very few ingredients needed for this gluten-free/dairy-free cereal bars recipe:
- gluten-free/dairy-free cereal (Van’s is certified gluten-free and labeled dairy-free)
- mini marshmallows (Dandies are labeled gluten-free/dairy-free)
- gluten-free/dairy free butter spread (Earth Balance Original is labeled both)
- pinch of kosher salt
That’s it! If you’ve got food allergies in your home, some if these ingredients may already be in your pantry. And talk about an easy dessert!? Easy sweets are the best!
I hope Carson loves these when he gets home! I seriously did, as you can see from the photos and the missing row in this cereal bars recipe!
One thing I wanted to note was that this recipe would be perfect to make for a birthday party or over the holidays, where there may be children attending with allergies. You would NEVER suspect these are gluten and dairy-free!
Cereal Bars Recipe (Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free)
A perfect marshmallowy treat for any child with a wheat and dairy allergy!
- 5 tablespoons buttery spread (gluten-free & dairy-free) (I used Earth Balance Original buttery spread)
- 5 cups mini marshmallows (Dandies are labeled gluten & dairy-free)
- 5 cups cinnamon cereal (gluten-free & dairy-free) (Van’s Cinnamon Heaven is labeled gluten & dairy-free)
- pinch of kosher salt
- In a large bowl, melt butter in microwave for about one minute.
- Add 3/4 marshmallows to melted butter, and set aside the last 1/3 of marshmallows.
- Stir in marshmallows with a spatula, then pop back in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Stir again, then microwave another 30 seconds.
- Stir, then another 30 seconds in microwave.
- Add cereal to melted mixture and stir.
- Then add remaining marshmallows to mixture.
- Stir everything thoroughly, then microwave for 30 more seconds.
- Stir one last time then pour mixture into a bread pan lined with parchment paper.
- Push down mixture and spread evenly throughout the bread pan with a spatula.
- When finished, refrigerate until almost ready to serve.
- Before serving, remove parchment paper with cereal bar and set on counter.
- Push down all four sides of parchment paper so that it looks like a cereal bar bread loaf!
- Slice like you would a loaf of bread, then slice each piece in half or thirds. This way, you will have squares to serve.
- Plate and serve to kids, or wrap individual pieces in plastic wrap!